Cocoa Brown Review | 1 Hour Tan VS Night & Day Tan

Cocoa Brown Review 1 Hour Tan Night and Day Mousse

We all like a bit of friendly competition between beauty products right? Well today I'm putting Cocoa Brown to the test and comparing the new Night & Day Tan with the original 1 Hour Tan. Both tans were developed by the lovely Marissa Carter who was involved every step of the way. Her story inspired me, she really thought about who the tan was for and created something thats kind to skin, smells nice and is affordable for us tanning junkies. It's no wonder Cocoa Brown is flying off the selves...okay I admit, I may have something to do with that!

The naturally derived tans are gentle on sensitive/dry skin and are free of Parabens. I have eczema on my upper arms that Im pretty self-conscious about but neither tan irritates it or sticks onto the dry patches. It has accelerating agents that activates when applied to the skin that helps the tan to be absorbed, with no tacky or sticky residue leftover. This also means that the tan doesn't have time to react with oxygen so there's no horrible "biscuit" smell.

1 Hour Tan vs. Night & Day 


Cocoa Brown Review 1 Hour Tan Night and Day Mousse

1 Hour Tan I've been using this for a couple of months now and I have to say that I just love it. I've gone through a couple of bottles already and I immediately stocked up once I saw it in Primark. As the name suggests, it develops a nice natural tan in just one hour but you can leave it up to three hours if you prefer a darker tan. I love the ease of use; I either apply it in the morning, wait three hours and rinse it off or I apply it at night, shower in the morning and I'm tanned, ready for my day.

Night & Day Tan is the newest addiction and I can see it being just as popular. This is for those people who love a natural tan during the day but a darker colour at night. You can apply this before a night out and instantly have a gorgeous tan, then rinse it off the next morning leaving a lovely sun kissed glow.



 Before, During & After

Cocoa Brown Review 1 Hour Tan Night and Day MousseCocoa Brown Review 1 Hour Tan Night and Day MousseCocoa Brown Review 1 Hour Tan Night and Day Mousse
Cocoa Brown Review 1 Hour Tan Night and Day Mousse
Before (Natural Light) | Applied (Natural Light) | Applied (with Flash) | Rinsed Off (Natural Light)

As you can probably tell from the image with flash, the images taken in daylight are a little washed out and appear lighter than in real life. For the purpose of this review, I left the tan to develop for about 2 hours.

Naturally I am very pale and have the typically blotchy Irish skin. I used two different tanning mitts so not to mix the tan. On the right I applied the one hour tan and on the left is the new night & day tan. In the "Applied" photos, you can see that the night & day is a slightly darker colour, perfect for your night out. The guide colour for the one hour tan is slightly lighter. Once rinsed off, you can see that the one hour tan is a deep colour while night & day is now a gorgeous glow. Both tans are great but I think one hour tan is more suited to how I use it. I like to leave it three hours for a darker colour because I'm so pale. Night & Day would be perfect if you like to be tan for certain events but natural during the day.

 The Tanning Process 

  • In the run up to my tan day I exfoliate, removing lasts weeks tan and any dead skin. I apply an oil free moisturiser, concentrating on any dry areas. On tanning day, I shower and make sure my skin is clean - free from any lotions and perfume. 
  • You can then apply some oil free light moisturiser to dry areas, such as elbows, ankles, knees and hands. Once it has dried in, apply the tan using a mitt. I like to apply it starting at my legs and moving upwards so that the tan on my stomach doesn't crease. I leave my hands and face until last when there is only a little bit of tan remaining on the mitt. I just swipe it over my hands and wipe the sides of my fingers. I also like to add some moisturiser to the backs of my hands along with some gel tan and rub my hands together bringing it up my arms slightly to blend. 
  • For one hour tan - leave it for 1-3 hours, depending on how dark you want the tan to be. Once the tan has developed, I rinse it off using a little shower gel. Avoid exfoliating!! 
  • For night & day tan - go out and enjoy being bronzed. Shower the next morning.
  • Wait a couple of days before moisturising. 
  • Use an oil based moisturiser to help to break down the tan when you're removing it.

Purchase Information


The new Night & Day launches today! Cocoa Brown Tans are available in numerous pharmacies such as Bradleys, Kellys, McAuleys as well as Pennys/Primark. They retail at €7.99 for a 150ml bottle. I believe they are on the way to the UK & the US so keep an eye out for them.

* I was gifted both tans to try by Marissa, however I have already repurchased the one hour tan numerous times and plan to purchase night & day at the weekend.

Cocoa Brown Review 1 Hour Tan Night and Day Mousse

Want to know how I removed the big white spaces between my images? Check out this tutorial.

0 comments:

Post a Comment