Epilating - My experience & Tips


I found my old epilator yesterday while cleaning. I got it when I was about 16/17, used it a couple of times and then forgot all about it and went back to shaving, where the only pain was in my bottom from having to do it so often. I think it's the one beauty thing I really hate doing, it takes so much time and doesn't last long enough. What one beauty "task" do you hate?


What is an epilator?


An electronic device that removes hair by grasping and pulling out numerous hairs at once. Think of a shaver but with loads of rotating tweezers instead of blades. Sounds sore right? This form of hair removal is similar to waxing as it pulls hair from the root.


How painful is it?


I'm not going to lie, it hurts like hell. I mean, this device is plucking loads of hairs from the root at once, on your leg (or wherever). But think back, plucking your eyebrows the first time hurt too. The more you use it, the less it hurts. You get used to it so stick with it. Sometimes, it feels like little needles stabbing you, other times it feels like someone is scratching you with really really sharp nails, but some areas you don't feel at all and the pain disappears after a few seconds.



Tips & Tricks


  • Remove all oils/lotions from the area.
  • Have a hot bath/shower to open the pores.
  • Use an ice pack to numb the area (although this will tighten pores, I'd stick to a hot shower/bath but really it's whatever works for you.)
  • Exfoliate, go against hair growth so hairs lift/stand up or simply brush hairs upwards.
  • Do small sections at a time.
  • Prepare to get flexible haha. It's easier and less painful if you can see what you're doing and are able to hold the skin very taut. I sit on the floor and put my legs up on the bath.
  • Use thumb, index & middle finger to hold skin as taut as you can.
  • On really sensitive areas (like the backs of your legs), create a V with your index and middle finger, holding the skin taut and work in this little section before moving to the next.
  • Do the areas that don't hurt as much first. When you move on to do the really sore parts, you'll be a little more used to the pain. 
  • Do NOT consume alcohol.
  • Avoid doing it just before or during your period because you'l be more sensitive.
  • Do it at least the day before you show your legs & use a soothing lotion after. Area will be a little red for the first few uses.
  • You may need to go in a few different directions depending on hair growth, to get all hairs.

My experience



After switching it on yesterday, fear came rushing back. I got no comfort when I heard the familiar buzzing noise and saw it rotating so fast. I put it to my leg *buzz* I switched it off and put it down. 1 hair. How the hell was I going to do both legs. The bf was freaked out by the noise and device but I'm a stubborn little miss so I struggled through and to be honest, it really wasn't that bad. I put my legs into the bath and used the shower head to soak them in hot water, using my exfoliation gloves, I exfoliated up the leg lifting the hairs. Patted them dry with a towel and brushed up and started. Once you get a technique going and get passed the first few hairs, it's actually not too painful. Some areas I hardly felt. The sorest was the backs of my legs which I did last, but I made a small V with my fingers and did it bit by bit. The redness stayed for about an hour. I've never tried anywhere apart from my legs but I would like to try underarms...not brave enough yet.



The Good News


It leaves you really soft and almost hairless, eventually in some areas the hair won't grow back. I still have a few smooth bald patches on my legs from when I used it years ago so I think the pain is worth it. Plus, it's supposed to last as long as waxing, but you don't have to wait a certain amount of growth time before using it again.


Buying One?


I have the Epilady Legend. Mine is about 4 years old so I'm sure there's loads of different makes and models that are out now to choose from that are better versions than mine. I know there's one with a light on it to help you see the hairs & also one for the shower, which would probably be really nice since the hairs would be wet and pores will be opened. There's a special smaller one made for face/underarms/bikini area which I might get if I move onto underarms.

Have you used an epilator before?
How do you deal with hair removal?
Do you have any hair removal tips?

0 comments:

Post a Comment