Winter, Myself and Nordic Sweaters are Prepared for Battle.

 



 
              "I’m talking about a little place called ASPEN."


 I cannot look at a Nordic sweater without ski lodges, roaring fires and Navajo rugs popping into my head.  Often hand-made and warm enough to rescue you from a day in a bulky coat, the Nordic sweater is my weapon of choice against the cold, while remaining effortlessly fashionable.  I have acquired quite the collection over the years. Some of these pieces keep me warm and toasty even in 20 degree weather. 

I’ve been fascinated by these intricate hand-crafted sweaters for many years and decided to do a little research into their origin and history. Centuries ago, Nordic sweaters were only knit in two colors, Black and white, being the natural colors of sheep’s wool. Soon some Nordic people began combining the black and white, and started making v-shaped patterns called ‘lice’. This v-shape stitch helped make their Nordic sweaters warmer. More intricate patterns emerged as people decided to combine function with fashion to wear their Nordic sweaters to social events such as church. They even added brighter colors and silver clasps (now usually pewter) for decoration.

My collection has been acquired slowly over the years to include favorites from such reputable brands as Orvis, L.L. Bean, Pendleton and Ralph Lauren.  I would love to see pictures of other prized pieces classic wardrobe enthusiasts have in their collection.  Feel free to email me with pictures of your favorite designs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment